Friday, January 07, 2005

It seems some are not happy with Kid Rock performing at Bush's inauguration concert. I know Kid Rock was a big supporter of Bush and especially of our troops, but I don't like Kid Rock myself. I find him gross and crude. I don't listen to his music so I have no idea whether he is good or not, but I am assuming that he will sing something appropriate. But we shouldn't object. I will go with Jeff Blogworthy on this one. via Protein Wisdom

Regarding the overturning of the conviction of Andrea Yates, the mother who drowned her 5 children in her bathtub a few years ago. The debate surrounding her seems to bring about alot of emotion because of her mental state and the fact that she was not receiving the medication and treatment she needed. The bottom line for me is that she held her kids under water as they thrased about in terror, even chasing the oldest down to drown him. The horror of it is the stuff of nightmares. I don't care why, I don't care that she had a mental illness. She did it. She should be in prison for life. Period. She is receiving medication now and that is the most she deserves at this point. Don't try and change my mind. Many have tried. Sorry, but in this society I always come down on the side of the child.


Conservative commentator Armstrong Williams accepted a contract for almost a quarter-of-a-million dollars from the Education Department to promote the No Child Left Behind Act. via MSNBC

It seems no laws were broken, but I am bothered by this. Only because he didn't make it clear that he was doing paid advertising. He says he did it because it is a cause he believes in, which is fine. But he still needed to disclose that he was being paid. I know he probably thought that people would question whether he really believed in No Child Left or if he was doing it just for the money.

I am also bothered by the notion that any Dept. of the government can pay a commentator to promote a certain agenda. I can see doing PSA's, but this seems sneaky and I don't like it. I know Williams is not a journalist, but he should still be above board regarding accepting any money in order to promote something on his show. I did watch his interview on CNN and he seemed contrite and said that he would always make sure the public knew he was being paid in a commercial way next time.

As Conservatives we need to walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

UPDATE: I just saw Williams on O'Reilly and there is a little more to the story. The Dept of Education (Rod Paige being the head) hired a PR firm that hired Williams to promote the No Child Left Behind Act. The White House had no knowledge of it, yet USA Today seemed determine to make that leap. Once again Williams was very contrite and agrees that it was not a smart move. He seems to be handling it very well, not being defensive, but accepting blame. Like I wrote, it doesn't seem right to me, but I would like to know if this has occurred in other administrations as well. Is this a one time thing or a common practice? Mark my words though, the liberals and the media will beat this horse well past death.