Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Crouching Tiger, Flying Conservative

Protein Wisdom brings us this excerpt from comedian Margaret Cho's blog:


"How could I hope to be myself, with my uncomplicated child’s face and funny monkey mind when I could never live in the dream world presented to me on the screen? Nobody understands this, when I express it, because there are sci- fi and fantasy films all over the place, and most people don’t come away from “Battlefield Earth” thinking, “Am I here?”
We don’t see Asians in film unless they have super powers, and I certainly don’t have them, so where does that leave this erstwhile actor? Even with all the digital effects, it still wouldn’t work. I am clumsy with a death wish. Yesterday, I was in the backyard and I fell from a height of approximately one inch and I am practically bleeding internally. I see Asians flying with their daggers and I feel as if I am hurtling toward extinction at the speed of light. With the growing death toll of the fearsome Asian tsunami and the popularity of films like [House of the Flying Daggers], I feel as if Asia, not only the continent, but the global community of Asia is on the verge of collapse. There is nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, nowhere to fly."


Makes you just want to weep, doesn't it? All Asians are protrayed with super powers. Try looking for conservatives onscreen Ms. Cho. When they are there they are protrayed as rich hypocritical homophobic sexual perverts.

I'll take the super powers any day.