Wednesday, June 18, 2008

McCain event!




I volunteered at another McCain fundraiser at River Oaks last night. The home of Paige and Tilman Fertitta. The home is so freakin gorgeous I can't describe it (see staircase above). It's my kind of decorating taste (which is awesome) but on a very expensive budget. It's classic and not overly ostentatious. That may be because The Fertitta's have 4 kids and kids tend to ground you even on a decorating basis. Tilman Fertitta owns the Landry's restaurants in Houston and I'm telling you, this was the best food I have had in ages. Delicious.

But enough about that. McCain spoke for about 20 minutes to the crowd. It was nothing that we didn't already know, so nothing to report there. He spoke about the stark differences between himself and Obama. I am still amazed at his energy. We were outside and it was Texas hot and it didn't seem to bother him in the least. I did get to shake his hand and say hello, although I didn't get a chance for a picture with him this time (I whispered "drill in ANWR," but I'm not sure he heard....;-) I also stood right next to our Governor Rick Perry.

The last time I volunteered at a McCain event at a River Oaks home I was deeply concerned about lack of security. I didn't blog about that at the time because I certainly didn't want to draw attention to the fact that no one did a background check on me and no one checked my purse. I or anyone could have brought anything (like a gun!) in there. I got to go right up to McCain and have my picture made with him. It really bothered me. I could have easily been a crazy person (as some say I am). So I was very happy that this time he had full security and they checked everyone's bag and we went through a metal detector.

You might recall why McCain refused Secret Service for long:


McCain Vows To Replace Secret Service With His Own Bare Fists