Sunday, December 16, 2007

I want to stop blogging about Huckabee, I really do

Victor David Hanson on Huckabee' forgeign policy:

I don't know much about Mike Huckabee, but found his aw-shucks Foreign Affairs essay strange to say the least (e.g., cf. "The Bush administration's arrogant bunker mentality has been counterproductive at home and abroad." )
But what he offers inter alia is the rehashed plan of invading the nuclear, nominal ally Pakistan ("I prefer to cut to the chase by going after al Qaeda's safe havens in Pakistan." ) while reaching out to Iran, the de facto non-nuclear enemy, by offering normal diplomatic relations—of course, only after strengthening sanctions and declaring the Revolutionary Guards terrorists. He laments losing the good will once shown by Iran in its 2001 shared goal of defeating the Taliban-almost like lamenting the needless estrangement of the Soviet Union in 1946 after we once had been so close in working to defeat Hitler.


The Romney gets in a good right hook:

"[Huckabee] said the Bush administration is guilty of an 'arrogant bunker mentality' that has been counterproductive here and abroad. I simply can't believe that. I can't believe he'd say that. I'm afraid he's running for the wrong party. The truth of the matter is this president's kept us safe these last six years."

I went to a dinner party last night. All of these people were smart, educated, and interesting. They were not that into politics except in some general way. They know all the names and have general feelings about each of the candidates. Most who knew Huckabee thought he seemed like a real nice guy. They said he didn't seem phony like the rest. A few admitted they would never vote for a Mormon, which I just find so frustrating. They also admit they would never vote for Obama because he used to be Muslim and they think he still is.

I talked to one gentlemen from the Northeast who explained how he felt our soldiers had died for nothing in Iraq. I didn't get angry. I just explained that many of us feel that they did die for freedom and for turning a page in history where Americans and Muslims no longer fear each other, but understand each other, and on top of that we have rid the world of a brutal dictator and killed thousands upon thousands of al-Queda. I said to him that History will tell us which one of us is right, but this is my question to you? "Do hope that I am right?" And He said Yes, he hopes that I am right.

That's the difference to me. If you think this war was wrong. If you think our warrior's dying was for nothing. Fine. You have every right to think that, but if you hope that it was all for naught just to prove George Bush wrong, then I can't abide you. At least this gentlemen wants our victory in the Middle East, he just doesn't believe it will happen. I told him the story about the Catholic Church in Iraq that was rebuilt by Christians and Muslims and how I had a picture of Muslims climbing on the Church to place the cross there. And another picture of them worshipping together in that church, and he got tears in his eyes! He never hears the good stories!

Among the Democrats at the party there was alot of frustration that Joe Biden has not gotten enough recognition. They all agree that he had the most experience and should be a front runner. None of them seemed to thrilled with Obama or Hillary, but would vote for either if nominated.

Anyway, it was a fun party and I enjoyed the back an forth.