Thursday, March 10, 2005

Rodeo Blogging.

I went to the Rodeo last night. I hadn't been in a few years and I had forgotten how fun it was. It was in Reliant Stadium and we were in one of the evil oil business suites, which is NICE because you have all the food and drink you want served, not to mention a private restroom. The only way to see a concert in my opinion (which is a spoiled one).

The headliner was Kenny Chesney, who was AWESOME! Before he got started though, we watched the bull riding, and the thing were the women ride around the barrels (barrel racing?), and where the cowboys jump off their horse and bring down a bull in the shortest amount of time. The cutest thing was where a bunch of teens compete for scholarships by catching, bringing down, tying up calves and then bringing (pulling, pushing, and begging) the calf to a square drawn in the dirt.

Then the concert started. The place went dark and then 4 big screens lit up with a montage of pictures of our soldiers. At that moment a army humvee drove in the arena and behind it, in a spotlight were men and women, each representing their part of our armed forces. In the background a man was singing "God Bless America." Remember now that this is not our national anthem, yet every single person in the place stood up. The soldiers saluted and fireworks went off and the whole arena erupted in cheers and clapping. I turned to a friend beside me and said, "I bet you don't see that at any damn Rock and Roll concert." No offense to Rock and Roll, I love it and listen to it as well, but country music has this whole patriotic thing down baby. I felt so proud to be born in America.

If you don't listen to country music, I suggest you check out Kenny Chesney, he has a lot of rock in his music and he is just an awesome singer. He got me to dancing that's for sure.

One song I particularly love is "There goes my life." They played the video on the screens while he was playing it. The song is about a young football player in high school who gets his girlfriend pregnant and he sings, "there goes my life," like it's over for his future. Then it shows this precious little 2 year old with her young dad and they are playing around and she runs from him up the stairs and he lovingly sings, "there goes my life," like there IS his life now. Then it shows his little girl grown and going off to college and he sings again, "there goes my life," as she leaves. SO SWEET!!!!!!

Songs like that are why I love country music. Another classic of his is "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy." Which is funny, but a good dancing song. I like how country music always tells a story. It is also nice that you don't have to worry about the lyrics too much, although there is a popular song out there now called, "Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy," which is obviously sexual but I have to admit it is a great song and fun to dance to. And hey, if your married to a Cowboy, ride away!....;-)

I also love "I Love This Bar." Even though I never actually go to bars. Anyway, there is my rare night out and it was great. I wore my ropers and a teal blue cowboy hat. In fact I may post a picture of it tonight.

God, I do love Texas.