Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Gee, I guess I'm an enemy of the state...

I didn't blog on this yesterday because honestly I didn't think it was true. Sometimes things go around the net and they end up being bogus. This was just too ridiculous to be true.

But it is.

A Dept. of Homeland Security Intelligence and Analysis report titled:

Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment.

On page 2 it describes these radical groups that are "hate oriented" and "It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration."

Truly laughable. The pro-life movement is mostly made up of grandmothers, mothers, and daughters that work in pregnancy crisis centers across the country helping women through an unplanned pregnancy. The absolute opposite of the word hate.

I may agree or disagree on immigration issues with many on the right, but I do know they come from a sincere desire to protect our borders and follow the rule of law.

I don't know which is more disturbing to me. The fact that this kind of report targets someone like me, a law abiding citizen who has always always tried to live a giving life with a great love for my country, or that it could possibly be a political tool tool to denigrate the people involved in the tea parties. Including"disgruntled" military veterans, I might add. Those who have chosen to serve this country in the most sacrificial way are now being "watched" by the government???

As one of my twitter friends said to me, I never thought in a million years I'd live to see the day when I would be seen as an enemy to our country.

Every day I tell myself not to overreact to what is happening to my country, and every day something like this tells me that maybe I have a good reason to be worried.

Update: Someone in the comments sent me the DHS report on "Leftwing Extremists." I suppose it was to make me feel better, but it only increased my concern. Take a look at it. It only says that leftwing "extremists" are interested in "cyber attacks" despite that " their no-harm doctrine includes claiming to ensure the safety of humans, animals, and the environment even as they attack businesses and associated operations." See? They don't mean any real harm. Just computer hacks. This report is not exactly targeting normal Americans like myself who believe in certain causes or military veterans like the DHS "rightwing" report. The drastic difference in the reports only troubles me more.