Friday, April 17, 2009

Doing The Right Thing Anyway

John Hawkins has this over at RWN and it was so beautiful I just stole the whole thing:


At a pro-life dinner last night, S Sarah Palin talked about her fleeting thoughts of abortion when she learned she was pregnant with Trig. It was beautiful, sincere, and humanizing because it comes across as so personal and real...


"(Realizing I was pregnant) blew me away, it rocked my world... It was a time I asked myself, was I going to walk the walk? (J)ust for a fleeting moment I thought, 'No one knows me here; no one would ever know.' ...My amniocentesis came back and then I understood why some people would think they could change their circumstances, just take care of it. Todd didn't even know. no one would know. Plus, I was old and I thought, 'Very funny, God. My name's Sarah, but my husband's not Abraham, he's Todd.' ...We went through some things a year ago that's helped me understand a woman and a girl's temptation to make this go away....Believe it or not, I didn't even know what a baby with Down syndrome was going to look like or feel like. I had to ask that my heart be filled up...That prayer was answered the minute he was born...My heart overflowed. I felt a love I had never felt before. He's brought amazing, surprising happiness; he's the best thing that has ever happened to me."


Some people think that the courageous feel no fear or that the righteous never consider doing the wrong thing.


Not true.

Not everyone has the same challenges, fears, or temptations, but everybody has challenges, fears, and temptations. The best of us, just feel the pull and choose to do the right thing anyway.