Friday, May 16, 2008

You've been hoodwinked

In an article in The New Republic, Cinque Henderson reflects upon why he, as a black man, doesn't like Obama. It's all very interesting, but this part is what stopped me:

".... he gave speeches across South Carolina that warned against being "hoodwinked" and "bamboozled" by the Clintons. His use of the phrase is resonant. It comes from a scene in Malcolm X, where Denzel Washington warns black people about the hidden evils of "the White Man" masquerading as a smiling politician: "Every election year, these politicians are sent up here to pacify us," he says. "You've been hoodwinked. Bamboozled."

By uttering this famous phrase, Obama told his black audience everything it needed to know. He was helping to convince blacks that the first two-term Democratic president in 50 years, a man referred to as the first black president, is in fact a secret racist. As soon as I heard that Obama had quoted from Malcolm X like this, I knew that Obama would win South Carolina by a massive margin."

As I read this, I remembered the scene in Malcolm X. Could this possibly be a coincidence?? I think more than anything I have read about Obama, his liberalism and his lack of experience, this is the most disturbing thing to me. Using race to divide.

Could he possibly be using race in some sort of code words that he knew blacks would understand? Cinque Henderson thinks so.

Are we being hoodwinked by Obama?

via HotAir