Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A great man gone...

William F. Buckley Jr. Dies at 82

I first began reading National Review when I was 20 yrs old. I don't think anyone, other than President Reagan, influenced my thinking more than William F. Buckley Jr. You can read all about him at the link, but I will add that as many of you know, I read Vanity Fair as a guilty pleasure and Buckley's wife (who has already passed) was quite the socialite so their pictures were in there quite a bit. I have to say that I never saw such a well known couple as happy as they seem to be. I also never saw anyone who enjoyed life more.

Buckley was always an eloquent speaker and writer about his deep Catholic faith. Today he is where he always loved first, with his God. And we are left with a better country that he loved and gave so much to.