Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"Are these just words?"

From NRO:

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Senator Joe Lieberman (ID-CT) today spoke on the floor of the U.S. Senate, urging his colleagues to oppose the Feingold Iraq Deployment bill.

In his remarks, Senator Lieberman said:

“I have thought a lot about this war, and I cannot help but wonder at a moment like this what some of the political heroes of my youth who are Democrats would think if they were here and could see and listen to this debate and read this resolution.

“I think of President Kennedy who declared: ‘We shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.’

“In my opinion, that is exactly what we are doing in Iraq today.

“I ask my colleagues: Do these words have meaning, have significance? Or are these just words?

“I think of President Harry Truman, who proclaimed at the outset of the Cold War: ‘It must be the policy of the United States to support free peoples who are resisting attempted subjugation by armed minorities or by outside pressures.’

“Are these too just words? Isn’t that exactly what is happening in Iraq today? The people of Iraq, liberated from the terrible dictatorship of Saddam Hussein, hoping to secure a better future for themselves, now with our assistance and encouragement, are resisting attempted subjugation by armed minorities – read here, al Qaeda – or by outside pressures – read here, Iran.
“Are these just words? I hope not.”


It's hard to add anything to this. There is the mindset that nothing was worth this war, and there is the mindset that this is a war that must be fought and won. Two opposing views that will never understand the other.