Sunday, June 04, 2006

Racism and Europe.

I have little interest in sports in the United States, much less European sports, but I happened to be watching ESPN with my son when they did a story on racism in football over there (what we call soccer) The story told left me in disbelief.

It seems two of the best players in Europe are black and when they play they are faced with fans holding up Nazi flags and putting their hands up in the Nazi salute. Not just a few either, but a whole crowd of them. One black player became so frustrated with the "monkey sounds" the fans were making, he said he would not play. (I don't blame him!) Then they show video of the coach of the Spanish team telling his player to "show that black piece of sh*t that you are better than he is."

One sign held up during the game with the black player said "Bananas and peanuts are your payment for infamy."

Unfreakingbelievable! Can you even imagine for a moment ANY of those things happening in a sports stadium in the United States??? Before anyone could get the sign up or their hand in the air we would have them on the ground and that would be BEFORE the security got there, but the Europeans don't seem to have a problem with allowing large number of skinheads and racists to hold signs, make their salutes, and make "monkey sounds" at all!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't tell you how sick this makes me. It also reinforces my belief of why we are so much damn better than Europe. (sorry to generalize an entire region, but there should be an outcry about this and according to this story on ESPN, there doesn't seem to be)