Saturday, August 06, 2005

One more thing....



Is anyone sick of the ID/evolution debate yet??? Too bad. This is what I was thinking. I was a Theatre Arts/English major in college. I love the arts. I love creative thinking and all things that come from it. I admire those whose gifts are in science and math. I learned just enough science and math to get me though college. I wasn't interested in it nor very good at it. But now suddenly I find myself interested in this debate. It may be easier for me not to get all upset by either side since I agree and disagree with both sides.

As I mentioned in the comment section below, I saw two scientists on Fox News this morning arguing the ID/Evolution theories. I wish Fox could have given them more time because it was fascinating to hear. The ID Scientist pointed out that there is a genetic code in our cells much like that of a computer, which we all know needs a programmer to create the code. A simple way of looking at something very complex I know, but it was something I hadn't known before (nor, to be honest, cared about).

My point is that in just having this debate on the news it has caused this former actress to have an intense interest in looking more closely at evolution and ID. I read some things last night and plan to look through some more things today. This is from someone who already believes deeply in God, so I need no proof of that. I just find it fascinating that because we are learning more about what makes us human, it has caused us to look at the gaps of evolution and consider an intelligent designer.

The intense feelings of outrage that surrounded "the monkey trials" makes this debate look like a mild spat in comparison. How interesting that advances in science have caused some to bring the discussion back around to God. How ironic would it be if Darwin set off a discovery process that eventually led us back to God?

If this debate can cause someone like me, who has had less interest in science than.... well...a monkey has, to want to learn more, then imagine the debate it would spark in science classrooms where students DO care?????

I am not here to argue for or against evolution or ID. I am here to say that the argument in and of itself is a very good thing for all of us to have.