Thursday, August 04, 2005

Milblogs ROCK!!!

2Slick, my favorite former blackhawk helicopter pilot, corresponded with journalist John Hockenberry via e-mail after a bit of a disagreement with him. It seems Hockenberry wanted to write a piece on the Milblogs and he did!

Wired magazine has
this excellent article by Hockenberry on the Milblogs.

Chris Missick, author of
A Line in the Sand said it perfectly about the Milblogs:

"Never before has a war been so immediately documented, never before have sentiments from the front scurried their way to the home front with such ease and precision."


It is because of the Milblogs that we bloggers know so much about what is really going on over in Iraq. Imagine if we only had the MSM to rely on now??? What a different perspective there would be.

A while back I wrote a post called "The Warrior And The Truth."

I wrote what the Milblogs meant to me and I still feel the same way. It ends with this:

"The left is wrong to think that there are not times that we wonder if the sacrifice of our boys is worth it. They are wrong to think that we don't worry that things are out of control. I watch and listen closely to the news stories out of Iraq. I surf the milblogs and Iraqi blogs. I read European news pieces. Each sometime tell a different story. So who do we believe?

I believe the warrior.

I believe the warrior because he sees what we do not, because he is the one putting his life on the line. There is honesty there borne out of his willing sacrifice. He lives the war.

I believe the warrior."

The really interesting thing is that back in November 2Slick had written Hockenberry about a piece in the NY Sun about John Kerry's discharge. This was Hockenberry's e-mail back to 2Slick:

2Slick baby,
Sorry, never would have expected an officer to speak so ignorantly. I've been in Iraq, Kuwait, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Israel. Jordan, Afghanistan, Somalia, Lebanon, and Pakistan. As for being ignorant of the military, ouch, wrong about that one too. I have two relatives buried at Arlington. But hey, making blanket statements about people seems to be a real talent over there at DOD. At least you know the difference between a real threat to our nation and a bogus half dead dictator (who was once on the CIA payroll). I feel better already knowing you are out there on the front lines delirious with self righteousness. Hey, you can call me a liar but I can't compete with you guys... you're professional grade. Hope your next promotion doesn't take too long I'm really looking forward to paying you more money to protect me and my family so well. Thanks again 2Slick (the officer who is apparently embarassed to reveal his rank)John Hockenberry (NBC Universal) John.Hockenberry@nbcuni.com

And NOW we have this excellent article on Milblogs from the very same snotty reporter!! Who says people can't change minds a bit??

The thing that worked, I am sure, is that 2Slick did not get all snotty back but started a real discussion with Hockenberry. This is why we should watch our tone sometimes on our blogs. You never know whose mind you might change or at least open.