Friday, November 26, 2004

Patti Davis and the long embarrassment....

Patti Davis, Ronald Reagan's daughter, has written a book about her father's descent into Alzheimer's disease called "The Long Goodbye." Patti spent her life embarrassing her father and doing a lot of whining. First with a "fictional" book about a daughter whose father was President and a cold aloof mother. She then posed for Playboy in 1994. Later writing another book involving S & M sexual activities. She was just a real class act all around.

Here she talks about her book. Making money off her father's memory is no surprise to me. It doesn't even surprise me that she even speaks for him in death, obviously injecting her own political feelings into what she 'thinks' he would have done or said in the present political climate. Here's a bit:

Point Loma, CA: Do you think the current president's vision for America is similar to your father's?

Patti Davis: I do not believe my father would have taken us into Iraq, nor do I think he would have alienated so much of the world. I believe, if he had been in office when 9/11 happened, Osama bin Laden would not still be walking around and sending out broadcasts via television.

She might be right about the bin Laden thing, but I don't think the left she loves would have liked the way he would have done it.

Orlando, Fl: ....Do you believe your father would have conducted a pre-emptive strike against Iraq, both in Desert Storm and now as the present administration has done?

Patti Davis: I think my father would have handled things very differently if he had been in office. I think he would have responded to 9/11 in an appropriate way by going after the group who carried out the attack. I'm saddened by what this administration has done.

Umm....Perhaps someone should tell Patti that Bush did go after the group (the Taliban) who carried out the attack. We went in Afghanistan and kicked their ass, killing off most and destroying their base and organization. And just as a little side thing, Bush also freed the afghan people from tyranny and allowed them to have free elections for the first time. I think Reagan would have loved that from the bottom of his freedom loving heart.
Patti, being the feminist that she is, might also kinda like the fact that girls are allowed to go to school and work now, and even have the right now not to be murdered if they choose the wrong boyfriend.
Because you know, I was really saddened by the brutality, murder, and discrimination that the Taliban had done.

Crofton, MD: Hi Patti: You've always been one of my favorite writers. Did your father ever voice an opinion regarding stem-cell research?

Patti Davis: Unfortunately, by the time stem-cell research became part of our vocabulary, my father was too ill to understand it. I think he would be very proud of my mother's work for this cause.

Everything that Ronald Reagan every wrote or said on the subject of embryos and the sanctity of life says he would have been against embryonic stem cell research, but for adult stem cell research. But, she doesn't say that he would have been for it at least, she only says that he would be proud of her mother, which of course, he would have. I think he would have supported Nancy in all things.

Gautier, MS: What type of relationship do you and your mother have with Michael? He seemed so alone at the funeral.

Patti Davis: Our family has pulled together and bonded through my father's illness and passing.

This was a good dodge. Michael, who is a outspoken Christian, could not be more different from Patty and Ron. The one thing they do seem to have in common now is the love and respect they have for their father. Patty spoke a bit about how her father would have hated how divided the country was. Does she really believe that that we would be less divided with Ronald Reagan in office? Reagan's political policies and vision makes George W. Bush look like a liberal. Does she think the democrats would embrace a Ronald Reagan? Or even tolerate one? It was the force of Reagan's conservative vision that began the head spinning hatred the left has for conservatism.

This post probably seems harsh. Patty's book, as I understand it, is a beautiful tribute to her father. But that does not give her the right to put words in her father's mouth. Especially about political decisions being made now. And I admit to always having felt sickened by how she humiliated her parents who had such class. As you have read recently here how I felt about my father, I just can't not wrap my mind around doing something so embarrassing to him, especially in such a public way. We all make mistakes, but most of us do not intentionally open family wounds in public, and do it in such a way that seems determined to make our family look hypocritical.
I did read Patti's first book. It seemed to me that Nancy was not a nuturing mother to say the least. This seemed to be where the deep problems that Patti has dealt with her whole life come from. Everything I have read in interviews with her seem to say the same thing. If writing this book helps her and her family become closer, then that is fine. But I just wish she would not speak for her father.
His whole life speaks for itself and it is loud and wonderful enough for all us to understand everything that he was and all that he gave us.