Sunday, November 15, 2009

More On Black Conservatives

Friday Glenn Beck had his show on black conservatives. He had about 60 there and from what I have heard it was quite raucous. Here are two takes from Booker Rising:

Adrienne Ross: "Sneak Peek: Taping Of The Glenn Beck Show"

The conservative blogger in New York said the experience wasn't what she expected it to be: "First, it was good to see Glenn Beck, but he is far from 100%. In fact, he did something he never does. He remained seated. He apologized ahead of time but said that he was too weak to do otherwise. Keep in mind he just returned from surgery. Suffice it to say I was glad to have the opportunity to be there, but it was far from what I expected. We were a rather raucous audience and Glenn reprimanded us nicely at one point. We were still yapping (arguing?) when we went to commercial, but that was the only time some were able to talk -- and even then it was nearly impossible."

She concurs with Maria, another blogger whom she met at the taping: "Hey, I tried to speak -- more than once, more than twice -- but it was impossible. So when you tune in [today], expect to see me in the audience, but don't expect to hear me speak, or Maria, or Clifton from Another Black Conservative. I could say more, but that's enough for now. I will speak my mind more after the show airs, and I don't think you'll want to miss my interpretation of how things went. And you certainly don't want to miss my defending Sarah Palin story. Yep, encountered some Palin-bashing -- and, if you know me, you know I addressed it! It'll be interesting to see how the show gets prettied up for airing. I will speak more of my mind soon. For now, I will close by saying it was not at all what I expected, and I was frustrated."

Clifton B.: "The Glenn Beck Show: An Evening With My Fellow Black Conservatives"

The conservative blogger in New Jersey writes: "First I met Adrienne Ross from Motivation: Truth blog. As I stated in an earlier post, Adrienne was on of the inspirational figures that inspired me to start Another Black Conservative. Adrienne is exactly what I imagined. She is outspoken and clearly has her beliefs on point. Adrienne and I clearly speak the same language, especially when it comes to Sarah Palin. Note to readers: Adrienne defends Sarah Palin anywhere and anytime, even on the very blue streets of New York City! Adrienne and I met early and traveled together to Fox News studios and there we met up with Maria from My Voice on the Wings of Change. Maria could easily be someone from my own immediate family. She even reminds me of my very own cousin Maria! Her Island background mirrors my very own background. Her life reads like of my own family. Robin from Conservative Black Woman surprised me the most. When you read Conservative Black Woman, her blog and point of view is very strong. Yet, Robin in real life is a petite and soft-spoken woman. Don’t let appearances fool you (you will see [this] evening) the woman knows how to get her point across! Others I got to meet briefly were the guys from Hip Hop Republican, Charles Payne from Fox Business News, several Fox News personalities, Kevin Jackson from the Black Sphere and a host of black conservatives from Facebook."

More commentary from Mr. B.: "What was Glenn Beck like? Just like you see on TV. He is a very much the everyday Joe you meet all across America. I could also tell he is still not 100% recovered from his operation. I could easily detect someone who is pushing himself to keep up with their everyday schedule who clearly did not want to."


I can see why it was so frustrating. Finally black conservatives are given a very big forum to express their views, and there are 60 voices trying to get their opinion in.

It just so happens that the Tea Party Express II tour just finished and there is a great read about here from Lloyd Marcus, a black conservative as well. You may have seen him on Fox News discussing the Tea Party Express. I really encourage you to read his overview of his experience to get a real sense of what the tea parties are all about (you might especially enjoy the Texas overview).

Lloyd had this to say about black conservatives:

Though some may think them as rare as Bigfoot sightings, black Conservatives do exist. I saw more of them on this second TPX II tour than I did on the first. Blacks in greater numbers are attending and participating in the tea party movement. In Texas, I met the conservative black woman named Mary Baker who founded 9-12moms.ning.com.

Black clergy are firing up the crowds, touting the virtues of God and country at tea parties. They worship Godly principles over skin color. I am still baffled as to how a Christian could reconcile voting for Obama based on his abortion policies alone.

I met several bright black youths who refreshingly were not taken in by Obama's rock star persona. One young black man who attended a tea party had just been released from prison nine days earlier. He admitted he made wrong choices and wanted to turn his life around. He was seeking truth. I gave him an autographed copy of my friend William Owens' book, Obama: Why Black America Should Have Doubts.

William and Selena Owens are wonderful black conservative authors who traveled with me on the Tea Party Express II tour. My first book, Confessions of a Black Conservative, will be released soon. Michelle Malkin wrote the forward.

Kenneth Gladney traveled with us on the Tea Party Express bus. Kenneth is a black entrepreneur who became famous after being beaten by SEIU thugs (Service Employee International Union) for selling "Don't Tread on Me" flags at a town hall meeting. The beating sent Kenneth to the emergency room. He was simply attempting to earn a living selling flags after being laid off. Liberals are quick to put independent blacks back in their place on the government dependency plantation.

On the tour, I also met young black conservatives running for political seats traditionally controlled by liberal Democrats. Yes, the times, they are a changin'. No longer are blacks sheepishly and mindlessly following the leading of so-called black leaders who thrive on convincing them they are victims.

Interestingly, most of the blacks I chatted with at the tea parties were current or ex-military. They have lived around the world, and they realize that America truly is "a shining city on a hill." Sorry, all you globalists, but America is peerless.

We blacks are blessed to live in the greatest land of opportunity on the planet. The day the majority of black Americans realize this truth is the day they can finally say, to quote MLK, "Free at last, thank God almighty, we're free at last!" Dr. King made that statement referring to the tyranny blacks suffered from white racism in America. He could never have imagined that blacks would someday need to be freed from the tyranny of traitorous blacks and liberal whites who wish to keep them on the government plantation.


My next door neighbor and good friend is a black pastor. He too was greatly bothered by members of his congregation, who he teaches to put Godly principles over skin color, voting for Obama. He tells me that many are now expressing to him their regret.

Although we have a long way to go with the black community in bringing them in large numbers into our fold, I am encouraged by all of the above. Brave black men and women going against conventional wisdom, and the first black President, to say that values matter more than skin color. One heart at a time. I'll take each one with gratitude.

I used to listen to white conservatives say, "Why put so much effort into bringing more blacks into our party when they are going to vote for Democrats no matter what?" This always made me angry. I would rant at whoever said it that it should be our mission to reach out to the black community and show we care, and show them how we represent their values much better then the Democrats. I would insist that as long as no one points out how the policies of Democrats have done nothing but hurt the black community and as long as it seems like we don't care about them, then of course they would keep voting Democrat.

I find it interesting and sort of ironic that it has taken having the first black President to awaken many white conservatives to the need of bringing the black community into our party. It has also taken Obama to put black conservatives front and center in our tea parties.

It's a start and I'm proud and happy to be a part of it.