Saturday, June 07, 2008

Hillary: "It's still all about me"

If you saw the "concession speech" today then you know this was exactly what the speech was all about. I just couldn't believe it. I am not exaggerating when I say that 90% of the speech was about her and 10% about Obama. I can't imagine Obama asking her to be the V.P. after a concession speech that barely mentioned him.

This speech was all about how Hillary has paved a way for women. Sadly for women like me, she isn't paving the way for the kind of woman I would want leading this country.

There were moments, that I have discussed before, when I actually felt sorry for Hillary during this campaign. But in this speech she reminded me of all that I disliked about her. Her self involved narcissism, her ego inflated belief that she knows better. Her misguided and dangerous belief that government is the answer to every problem Americans have.

I can't explain how happy I am that, at least for a while, I don't have to see the Clintons on the political stage every single day.

I really do believe that the candidates for President this time represent something different for each party. McCain was never the favorite among conservative Republicans. The party turned toward "The Maverick" that went against his party time and time again. Democrats turned away from the corrupt power couple that led the party for so long in so many ways.

It may actually be a refreshingly different Presidential race and I am looking forward to it.

Update: Mark Hemingway at NRO was at Clinton's speech. He had this interesting tidbit:

I just returned from the Clinton rally, and I don't know if this really came across on TV but there was a surprisingly audible number of boos every time Obama was mentioned. There were also a lot of people who didn't clap for him.


The majority obviously are enthusiastic about Obama, but the boos sort of took everybody in the press area aback when she first mentioned his name.