Friday, March 10, 2006

Children of Change.

You all know how I love the milblogs. Sometimes I find the most bittersweet posts. It's like reading someone's letter to home. I feel honored that these soldiers open their souls to us. Surfing this morning I found American Soldier, who is injured now btw, so keep him in your prayers, but I was looking through his posts and found this:

"Many nights I have watched the sunset fall in this land of turmoil. I have seen the beauty here and I have seen the hope of the people. We have a very long road before the sun will set in peace here. I sometimes think as the sun goes down what will become of this place. Long after we do leave here, will these children make a difference or fall into the same footsteps of their fathers, brothers or uncles before them? I would only hope that the children I have seen will persevere. With any luck they will build their squander huts into houses. They will cover the holes of their kin'’s death devices. I would hope that they will respect their woman as we do in America.

I read in the news about the things happening in the US and I think that the subtle bickering that the left and right is miniscule compared to the issues that Iraq has right now. Will there be a day when the Iraqi people will have nothing better to do than argue about the things that we as Americans have so much time to debate about?"

That made me smile. To think (hope) that one dayIraqis will be on the net like us, debating issues of the day, not worrying about idiots who blow themselves up.

Do you ever think about how blessed we are? How wonderful it is to be able to speak your mind and to work for what you believe in.

I'm not sure how this war will turn out. I cling to the hope that braver hearts and minds will turn the direction of the Middle East into a more civilized place. I talk to people all the time who don't believe that is possible. They think that the people of the Middle East will never change. But one constant runs throughout the milblog posts I read. That is the children. Their attitude is much different than the adults. They see the soldiers as ones who brings them gifts and candy. This may seem like so little, but that first impression will stay with them. I want to believe that these children will be the ones who really turn things around for the future. The are the key I believe.

Their fathers and mothers may begin the dream, but they will be the ones who fulfill it.