Friday, September 23, 2005

What a Nightmare...

Well, I made it safely out of Houston. But I have never seen anything like that in my life. We left at 4am Thursday morning. I drove the back way to where I only had to move up the frontage road of I-45N
for about 1/2 mile to my exit going east. I took me almost 2 hours to go that distance. We could see hundreds of cars on the side of the road that had either run out of gas or they had been driving for 12 hours getting from Galveston to The Woodlands (about 40 miles north of Houston) and had pulled off to sleep. I even saw some tents pitched in the median and people sleeping on the ground in sleeping bags.

The powers that be had shut off most of the exit and on ramps getting out of Houston. I heard a 58 yr old woman on the local talk radio describe how she was forced to pull over and go to the bathroom on the side of the road because there was no getting off the highway and she had been driving for 12 hours. She said that she was now at The Woodlands, which I had just left to go east (Thank God) and I thought, "Well, she has another 12 hours ahead of her at least, to get to Dallas. People were pushing their cars to save on gas since everything was literally moving at a snails pace.

Once I got going east it was fine. I had to get on 59 North for a short way, but that took me another 2 hours. Finally I got off that highway. I had mapped out back roads through rural Texas and rural Lousiana to get through to Mississippi. I ran into some problems with people evacuating from Beaumont. There were a few backups but nothing like the ones being experienced by the people on I-45. That highway was the nightmare I knew it would be. Thursday morning they finally decided to open the southbound lanes of I-45 to go north. That had never been done before. Last I heard they were bringing fuel trucks up the highway to give people gas. But I never found out if that happened.

I got lucky so many times. First I was lucky that I thought to fill up on gas on Tuesday, because by Wednesday there wasn't gas to be had anywhere! I started to run out when I was in rural Lousiana, but I said a quick prayer, and lo and behold we came up this little po-dunk service station that only had about 5 cars sitting there. I thought it couldn't possibly have gas, because if it did, there would be a line miles long. (we had seen two stations like that off 59N before we needed gas) Anyway, I pulled up and didn't even have to wait!! I couldnt' believe it. It was a miracle.

A drive that normally takes me about 8 hours took me about 14 hours. Not bad really considering what so many people went through just to get through Houston.

Now I am just watching and waiting to see what happens. Last night I went to sleep and all I could see was the road. I dreamt of the road. But I am glad I got out. Let us all hope and pray that it isn't as bad as they expect it to be.

I want to thank everyone for their good wishes and prayers. And a big thank you to all of you who offered a place to stay. Truly sweet!