Friday, August 26, 2005

This Should Be A Circus....

This Saturday in additon to Cindy and friends, Freepers and Protest Warriors Join the “You Don’t Speak for Me Cindy Tour” , the Caravan of MoveAmericaForward, and White supremists Against the War - Protesting this war for Israel (the cabal of joooosss!) don't cha know? And I understand the usually low key Al Sharpton will also be on hand with his merry band of men.

Oh man. This will be one for the books.

UPDATE: Ok, not really an update, but I found an interesting article in Rolling Stone where one of their reporters went down to Crawford on Aug. 11th. The guy pretty much makes fun of the left and the right here. But as you read the article there is no doubt he is anti-war. But he does see things as they are in Crawford and speaks to the nuttiness of it all and how it isn't like Vietnam. Here were some interesting tidbits he picked up:

"The ostensible political purpose may be ending the war, but the immediate occupation for a sizable percentage of these people always seemed to be a kind of rolling adult tourist attraction called Hating George Bush. Marches become Hate Bush Cruises; vigils, Hate Bush Resorts."

" If you spend any amount of time involved with peace protests, as I have, you very quickly start to notice that Hating the President just seems like a little too much of a fun thing for too many of your brothers-in-arms."

But here was one... ummm... dare I say...crazy converstation with the anti-war people the reporter had:

"At one point at Camp Casey, an informal poll taken around a campfire revealed that six out of a group of ten protesters, selected at random, believed that the United States government was directly involved in planning the 9/11 bombings. Flabbergasted, I tried to press the issue.

"Do you know how many people would have to be involved in that conspiracy?" I said. "I mean, start with the pilots . . ."

"The planes were flown by remote control," a girl sitting across from me snapped."

And in an effort to be objective and fair in my blogging about the looniness on the right as well, he had this conversation with a righty:

"Another group I spoke with asked me why I believed Iraq wasn't connected to 9/11. I answered that Saddam Hussein's secular government was a political enemy of the Islamic fundamentalists.

"Well," said Raymond Smith, 42, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."
He laughed, and the group nodded at me triumphantly.


It was like a scene from Spinal Tap.
Three seconds passed.

"But," I said finally, "that doesn't make any sense, does it?"

But in the end, the anti-war reporter feels the same way I have always felt about Cindy Sheehan. (emphasis mine)

"She had been through so much in the past week. In still more proof that red-blue politics often comes before family in this country, her in-laws had released a statement cruelly denouncing her. Her estranged husband, perhaps a coward and perhaps unable to handle the stress, filed for divorce. Revelations about her personal life were spilling into print, and all around the country, heartless creeps like Drudge and Ankarlo were casting themselves as friends and protectors of her fallen son and criticizing her for dishonoring him."

"In return for all that, what Sheehan got was this: her own trailer, a couple of weeks' worth of airtime and a bunch of people who called themselves her friends but were really just humping the latest cause. They would probably be moving on soon, and Sheehan would be left with nothing."