Saturday, March 05, 2005


Regarding the Italian journalist Giuliana Sgrena who was released as a hostage in Baghdad and then had her car fired upon at a checkpoint by U.S. Forces. The Jawa Report has the full story and is being swarmed by the above. Go help him out. via Protein Wisdom Posted by Hello

I thought I should add my point of view on all of this. Forget the conspiracy theories on both sides. I think the military saw a threat, was not aware of who it was, and when the car did not slow down, despite warnings, they did what they had to do. This is suicide car bombing country here after all.
I also think that the driver didn't understand it was a checkpoint or felt that they were in danger somehow from another source and decided to speed through it.
It was a tragic accident. I don't think anyone should be blamed except maybe the person who was suppose to notify the soldiers and whoever was suppose to make sure the driver understood checkpoints along the way.
That having been said, it still makes us look bad and we need to do some serious PR work and make it clear how sorry we are that someone died in the incident. Just because it was an accident doesn't mean we don't show our sympathy and concern.
Just my take on it.