Thursday, December 09, 2004

Science Projects and Christmas

I won't be blogging much today, I have to finish my science project...Oops, I mean I need to help my son with his science project. Him not being here shouldn't pose a problem. His project is the ocean floor with deep water fish. He told me yesterday that they will have 'viewing' of the projects tomorrow morning. I told him, "Are you kidding? I never want to see this project again as long as I live." Can you tell I have 'helped' on one too many freakin science projects?

My oldest son and I did a swamp once. I used green food coloring on pudding for the swamp. The thing looked great, but after a few days in the classroom, well lets just say it became a whole other science project.

This Christmas season has been crazy for me. There are 5 family birthdays in Nov. and Dec. as well, and I tend to go all Martha Stewart over holidays and birthdays. (pre prison Martha) Every year I make my kid's shop for each other and for a present for the "NEED" project at Church. This year was a little different. My 26 yr old housekeeper was killed 2 months ago in a car accident and left 4 little girls. So I decided that my kids would buy for the girls and their Dad and the Grandmother. That proved to be a challenge. I am trying and have always tried to teach giving to my kids. I'm not sure when it is gonna take though. My 16 yr old daughter might as well have been raised in Beverly Hills by all indications of her behavior starting at 14.

Anyway, they argued over which gifts to buy, then they argued over the proper age toys. Then when we had finally finished they felt they deserved candy for all their effort. And while waiting in line we had to listen as every person walking in and out had to pass a hanging Santa face that sings 'Jingle Bells' over and over and over. Why do the stores put these out? I'm trying to get into the Chrisimas spirit here and all I can think about is punching Santa in the face.

Once home, getting the kids to help me wrap the presents was akin to asking them to scrub floors. In the end, in order for me to truly get into the spirit of giving, I had to make a vodka tonic with a candy cane to stir it with. It was actually very festive looking. And it did give me much needed holiday warmth.

I will end this with this hilarious true story about my darling little 7yr old. He was suppose to dress as Joseph in a Church school project. He was suppose to know one fact about Joseph. So I told him to say that Joseph was Mary's husband. He had several questions to me about Joseph's role in Jesus's birth and all. But the husband part was all he was suppose to say. When it came his turn. He said, " Joseph was Mary's husband when she was pregnant with Jesus, but it seems he wasn't the father." LOL!!!
Everyone cracked up. It was great.