Saturday, September 18, 2004

Take me out to the ballgame.

After many years of watching sons play sports, I am still bothered by the testosterone driven coaches that feel a need to yell, scream, and cuss the little athletes into playing this game RIGHT! Its as if they all make some sort of a "this will make them men" pact at the beginning of each season.
I have always felt one of the roles of women in this world was to nuture, love, and bring some sense of calm to THE GAME. So, imagine my horror when at my 11 yr old's football game 2 of the mothers started cussing one another. A lovely example white trash if there ever was one. Their sons will no doubt be the ones you see at the mall wearing wife beaters complaining about how "them there "spics' are taking all the good jobs. They will be the ones you see on future "COPS" episodes falling out of their pickups wearing a t-shirt that says "My Indian name is Runs With Beer," after the cop stops them for weaving all over the road.
It sorta reminded of something I read once about Feminists. We are becoming the men we hated.
I don't pretend to understand men or how the yelling and screaming helps the game. But I do understand women and its important that we come to the table with a whole different way of looking at things. Just to even it out if nothing else.