Thursday, November 15, 2007

Some Things Never Change.

While in California I went to the Nixon Presidential library. I learned many things I didn't know about Nixon. I didn't realize that the 1960 election was so close and that there was illegal voting to the point where many encouraged Nixon to ask for a recount. He refused saying for the good of the country, he would let it stand. (Unlike some one in recent memory)

History does seem to repeat itself. We had the communism threat during Nixon's political career and we have the Islamic terrorism threat now. Nixon reached out to communist China, something Bush refuses to do with Iran. And the scandal that defines Nixon was more about the coverup and lying than the crime, as it was with Clinton.

They are just now building a watergate part to Nixon's library. I suppose Nixon never wanted that there while he was alive. I wonder if one day The Clinton Presidential Library will have the blue dress displayed?

Nixon was the first President I remember. Being a good Democrat, my Dad couldn't stand him. I have a vivid memory of my Dad being so appalled at the tapes. He told me he just couldn't believe a President would speak like that. Especially the language. No wonder I detest cussing.

Anyway, you would think Presidential libraries would be boring, but they are not. History is always fascinating to me.