Sunday, July 30, 2006

Mel's moronic behavior.

I couldn't let this story go by. I suppose you have heard about Mel Gibson's drunken driving incident where he launched into a Jewish slur tirade.

Appalling.

But I have read on other blogs that Gibson is a hypocrite. Excuse me? Gibson has always been a looney type movie star. I don't know why we expect better behavior. Because he made "The Passion of The Christ?" He is an alcoholic. Obviously still struggling with it. Making a beautiful work of art, even if it is about Christ, does not make one perfect. Christians do not claim to be perfect. The only difference between Christians and non-Christians as far as behavior goes, is the awe we have for the compassion and forgiveness we receive. We should make the effort to lead a more virtuous life and those who are truly Christian do, but that doesn't mean we are all Mother Teresa. This
is not to defend Gibson. He should be ashamed and seems to be by his remarks afterwards:

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested," he said in a statement issued by his publicist. "I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse" ... Gibson also apologized Saturday for what he called "my belligerent behavior" when he was taken into custody. "The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person," he said. "I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable."

I read at Captain's Quarters that Abraham Foxman, the director of the Jewish Anti-Defamation League, wants the police to open a criminal probe into Gibson's stupid remarks:

"Calling for a criminal investigation into the Oscar-winning actor and director's remarks, Abraham Foxman, the national director of the US Jewish Anti-Defamation League, said: "We believe there should be consequences to bigots and bigotry."

Now that is just absurd. Bigotry is not criminal. And if it was there are about a dozen people I could think of right off the bat that could be arrested for anti-Christian bigotry. Not to mention racist bigotry on all sides of race in this country. So give me a break there.

I am sickened by Mel Gibson's behavior, but I am certainly not surprised. Hollywood is Hollywood after all.

Update: It seems Andrew Sullivan has linked "this rightwing blog." He says I am "blaming hollywood" for this. Say what??? I think it is quite clear that movie stars are not known for their virtuous behavior. If we aren't reading about rehab or drug addiction or drunk driving, we are reading about their divorces and affairs. I don't think I am blaming anyone but Mel for his behavior. I am just saying I am not surprised that a movie star would do something like this. Just like I am not surprised that Andrew Sullivan would misconstrue what I wrote.

UpdateII: Mel has entered rehab. Another hollywood shocker! Someone contact Sullivan!