Thursday, May 18, 2006

2 wrongs don't make a right.

I'm with Jay at Wizbang on this one.

"One of the key figures in the 2002 election day phone-jamming scheme has found out his fate. Former National Republican Committee official James Tobin, helped state Republican officials find a telemarketer who was willing -- for a fee -- to make repeated calls to the Democrats' get-out-the-vote phone bank, preventing them from calling out to registered Democrats to remind them to vote, and would-be voters calling in to get a ride to the polls. In the end, Congressman John E. Sununu (R) defeated Governor Jeanne Shaheen (D) by a very narrow margin.
Tobin is the third official to be sentenced in the scam, and a fourth is awaiting trial."

He goes on:

"In 2002, I voted for Sununu, but I was nominally a Democrat and as such was a potential victim of this crime. More to the point, I don't like anyone screwing around with our electoral process in such a flagrantly illegal manner. I thought the assholes who slashed the tires on Republican-leased vehicles on 2004's election day in Milwaukee were miserable scum who ought to be locked up and the keys thrown away, and I think the scum behind the phone-jamming deserve the same treatment."

The rightwing bloggers need to make a big deal out of this. We CANNOT stoop to the level of the Democrats to win and we need to make sure all officials understand that.

*note: I just got an idea during my morning run. You know how the Democrats give out free cigarettes to the homeless and underprivileged to vote for them? I think we should start giving out Starbucks gift cards or maybe i-tunes downloads to get uninterested voters to vote for us.

;-)