Wednesday, April 19, 2006

One more thing...

I know a lot of people have made up their mind about the Duke rape case because the woman was a stripper. First let say this has NOTHING to do with racism and everything to do with morality. Like I said before, I don't know who is telling the truth here, but if you don't think these guys would do this, then you are fooling yourself.

When I was in college I worked part-time as a photographer. I took party pics at fraternity and sorority parties. One of my first assignments (and I don't know WHAT my boss was thinking) was to send me to the SAE house for Pledge Day, when the pledges find out what fraternity they will join. Back then 18 was the drinking age and drinking was allowed on campus so by the time I got there everyone was pretty much drunk. Did I mention I was the only girl there? Well, I could go on and on about pictures that people asked me to take. Some were so bad that I would just use the flash button on my camera to make them think I had taken a picture.

Anyway, they had this little short guy who was pledging and he had some sort of a trick that when he was drunk he would roll himself up in a ball and let guys "roll" him across the floor. They got the floor wet with beer and away he went. Then they decided it would be fun to roll him naked. I started backing away at this point. I went out to the back yard where an enormous guy peered drunkenly in my face and said "hey, you're sorta cute." The one sober guy there (who, in the small world department, would years later become my brother in law) walked over and kept "Bubba" from trying to kiss me. About this time I heard someone in the house say "We need a naked girl ball too! Where is that picture girl?" My future brother-in-law looked and me and said "run."

And I did. I ran like a bat out of hell until I got to building with a pay phone and called my roommate to come get me. She was so mad she wanted to report it, but I said no, don't be silly. They wouldn't have hurt me, would they? As I continued to take pictures that year I learned that there isn't much a drunk college guy won't do. I know. I took pictures of it.

I pulled so many drunk girls out of terrible situations. It was a great lesson to me. I'm glad I learned it my freshman year. Believe it or not, I liked to party as much as the next college student. But there is a difference between fun and stupid and I think those Duke players just learned the difference the hard way.