Thursday, August 18, 2005

Off To College.

I got my son off to college yesterday. I actually did it without crying. I know he was ready to go. My last minute "do's and dont's" was enough to send him screaming away I am sure. He is a very laid back kid, so he just kept nodding thoughtfully, but I am sure he wanted to tape my mouth shut. Heck, I wanted to tape my mouth shut, but I just couldn't stop myself. After several warnings and tips I remind him to change his sheets every week or so and keep his dorm room locked at all times, he looks at me patiently and says, "Mom, do you think I am retarded?"

I think moms say things like "don't let anyone talk you into taking any kind of pills" so that if anything like that actually happens, we can always say, "well, I warned him of just that!"

Our conscience is clear.

I started cleaning out his room today. Not a good idea. I find reminders of his childhood everywhere. Goofy pictures that make me laugh, Halloween candy that was never eaten, shirts I bought that were never worn (too dweeby, I guess). I take a deep breath and decide to do this later.

I still haven't cried. I am always strong until the storm is over. I wait until everything is settled and right, and then I let go. Getting the other three off to a new school year has kept me busy.

Tonight could be the night.