Friday, April 22, 2005

To spank or not to spank....

On Fox News they just showed a five year old having a temper tantrum in class (someone was videotaping, I guess so they wouldn't be sued by the parents) The little girl is tearing things off the walls and swinging fists at the teacher.

Finally a cop comes in and HANDCUFFS her!! Thats right, a five year old handcuffed!!! This is where we are???

I remember being in 2nd grade and having the meanest teacher. Mrs. McDonald. If we so much as SPOKE at the wrong time you were asked to stay after school. (I tend to speak alot) She would march us into a closet and spank us with a paddle. AWFUL! But, we obeyed her. By the end of Sept. when Mrs. McDonald said jump, WE JUMPED. When she said "Be quiet!" We WERE. There was never any classroom disruptions or problems.

Now I am not saying we should go back to letting teachers spank, but only because I don't trust public school teachers anymore. One used to be able to know the teacher well and know that she held pretty much the same basic values as you did. Not so now. And thats too bad, because children want to be shown how to control themselves. They really do.

Most of the time other forms of punishment work. But every once in a while and with some kids, they need to have a good spank and that is all there is to it. Because you can't tell me it's better or more humane to HANDCUFF them. Geeze!

(And no, for the record, I never spanked my kids, I expected my hubby to do it because that's how it was done at my house. He wouldn't, so I had to work hard at alternatives. Don't even get me started talking about it)