Thursday, March 17, 2005

You win some, you lose some.



I learned a valuable lesson yesterday. Never accidentally forget to put the water in the rice you cook in the microwave. Because in 12 minutes you will have billowing smoke coming out of the microwave and by the time you open it and grab some oven mitts and take it outside your entire house smells like a very stinky forest fire.

It also happened to be cold yesterday and I had to open all the doors and windows so I was freaking cold, which next to having a Democrat in the White House, is about the worse thing there is. After getting dinner done I had to crank up the electric blanket and stay there while everyone ate.

Next to Oreo cookies and eyeliner, electric blankets are just about the best invention ever.

Then I learned that you never play the game Apples to Apples with logic minded people. You know, games are suppose to be fun. And unless they are strategy games, then all you really need is a good sense of humor. In Apples to Apples the "judge," which happened to be me, picks a card that says say "entertaining." Then the 4 or 5 people playing have 5 cards with different names and things on each card. You are suppose to choose the card in your hand that most describes what the judge's card says. Like one might put down the card with "Elvis" on it or another "Nascar driving." You might not have one that fits, so you just put down "surgery." But the fun part is that you get to "convince" the judge why your card should win. The judge picks the winner based on nothing more than his or her satisfaction with the answer. Well, anyone who can make me laugh usually wins. So even if the person with "surgery" convinces me in some funny way that is entertaining, they win.

Well the logic based part of my family CANNOT STAND THIS. They feel the answer should actually best describe the judges card. Well, why have people convince you then? Right? While the "fun" part of my family is laughing and having a blast at some of the ways they try to convince me, the "logic" based part of my family (better known as nerds) is getting annoyed. Which makes it even funnier....;-)

And by the way-- HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY!!!