Friday, February 04, 2005

I could never quite figure out why anyone would oppose the new Social Security reform proposed by the President. He had promised those near retirement that nothing would change with them. He is giving younger workers the option of opting in or out of the new program, so it is totally voluntary. This young worker can put 4% of his now 6.2% payroll tax in private accounts. Everyone born after around 1955 does not think they will get their SS anyway. And I can tell you that I would be the first in line to get my money in a private account. There is simply no doubt that you can make more money there than in the government's program. So I kept thinking, what is the problem? And I found it in this story.

"That money is used to pay current benefits, so the government would have to make up the difference, presumably through borrowing."

Wait a minute. Why is the money currently going into the system paying benefits now? What happened to that person's build up of money that he put into the system for 50 yrs or so? Isn't that the money he should be getting? Not someone's money who is working now? Wasn't the purpose of SS to build up your own retirement account???? They took 6.2% for your whole working life and when you retired, they start paying you back what you "saved." So someone out there who is all savvy on this SS thing explain that one to me. What the hell happened to the money? Hmmm... I think I know. The government spent it. They are like a teenager. You give them $20, they spend every last dime. Then they borrow from their friends and come back to you and ask for more.

The mere fact that the government is having to use money going into the system now ( the money you and I are putting into it for our supposed retirement account ) to pay for the benefits going out presently is proof positive that the government has no business doing this. It cannot be trusted not to spend every last dime we give it and more.