Tuesday, January 18, 2005

What I would have said If I were Dr. Rice.

After Barbara Boxer's political hate speech, which I have to say didn't surprise me, Dr. Rice handled herself as the lady and statesman that she is.
I am a lady as well, but I might have answered a little differently. This is how I would have handled Boxer's opening 'statement.'

Dr Rice:

I would like to say first that it is very easy to go through a public political figure's interviews and pull out of context sentences said over the years of such interviews. I am sure that if we went through your interviews Ms. Boxer we could find some contradictions even more glaring.

First I would say that to take a quote from me regarding the horrible tragedy of the Tsunami and imply that I saw that as some sort of a gift to us in able to make the United States look good is both despicable and irresponsible to say the least. To begin with that tsunami quote taken out of context in order to paint a certain picture of me shows your personal feelings towards me instead of the professionalism that should be shown during this hearings. It shows your political bias, your hatred of this administration, and your unwillingness to even show decorum when it comes to hearings that are given in order to confirm nominees. It is not a political soapbox where you can show off your posters and 'outrage' over things that have been discussed and answered in the public arena over and over.

I do not claim to be perfect. But at least I know that I am not a bitter, pitiful, and hateful soul that enjoys political theatre to the point where I will try and discredit a person who has shown nothing but honor and respect for this country.

As far as the war and WMD's and posters and the out of context quotes, I am hoping that the question and answer sessions will give Dr. Rice the opportunity to answer them fully (once again). Her short response to those things was well stated and she handled herself much better than I could ever have hoped to myself in the face of such hate.

To read the transcript of the opening remarks go here.