Thursday, December 23, 2004

It's Almost Christmas!!!!!!!

Christmas was always wonderful for me growing up. We lived about 20 minutes from my Grandma, who was the best grandma ever and we would spend Christmas eve over there with my aunt and uncle, who were very young. Only like 10 yrs older than us. And they were a lot of fun.

My Grandma had a HUGE painted Santa made out of plywood sitting on her roof. She made a big deal out of who got to say "Christmas Eve Gift!" first. I don't know where that came from or why we did it, but she always let us win. The first thing she said when she saw us was, "How sweet it is!" She had a way of making me feel like a queen. She thought every move I made was special. Every child should have someone like that in their life.

Anyway, we would have a big dinner and me and my brothers would be dying to go open our gifts under the tree, so my Dad would make a big deal out of needing another cup of coffee or dessert, and just when we were about to burst he would let us all go into the living room to open gifts. We all had to open one at a time around the room, which I still do with my kids, because it makes the anticipation special and you get to actually see the other's gifts.

After that we would go home to sleep, waiting for Santa. My parents never wrapped the gifts. So we just ran in and started playing. I think after Grandma's it was just as well. One of the best Christmas mornings I remember (I probably remember it well because we have it on film) is when my brothers were 15 and 13 and I was 10. My mom opens the door to the living room and my oldest brother runs in with my other brother right after them and I crash into them both because they had stopped dead still in the doorway when they saw what was by the Christmas tree. 2 dirtbikes!!!!! The look on their faces is truly priceless. It was a mixture of pure joy and unbelief. I know my Dad must have loved watching that home movie. I know I still do. When I finally made my way around them I screamed for them! (I got a TV, so I was happy too) I also almost killed myself on one of the dirtbikes later that year, but that is another story.

I am crazy about Christmas and love to decorate. My traditions are Christmas Eve Mass, then a candlelight dinner with Christmas music in the dining room with the nice crystal and china. The kids get to drink eggnog out of the wine glasses. After dinner they get to open the gifts they got for each other, and we read the Christmas story from one of the Gospels, and it is off to bed. It sounds very perfect, but it rarely is. Someone usually spills their eggnog or I can't find one of their gifts, or the dog runs off with someone's toy, but we get through it with humor and thats all that matters.

We always leave the cookies and milk for Santa and some carrots outside for the Reindeer. So after the kids go to sleep, we always move the decorative grate from the fireplace and make bootprints with a little ash coming from the chimney. Before going to bed I always have to eat some of the cookies, drain the milk and leave a few bitten off carrots out in the yard. (Yes, I am insane) My oldest believed in Santa until he was 11, which I think is a record. Now I just have one who still believes and it will break my heart when he stops. I know a lot of people don't do Santa, but I have such exciting memories of the thrill and magic of listening for the slieghbells and I don't remember being crushed or anything when I found out it wasn't true. So I wanted my kids to experience that as well. Plus I do tell them the true story of Saint Nicholaus, who was a Bishop of the Church in the 4th century in Turkey known for giving gifts to children on Christmas eve and (a little known fact) he would pay dowries for young women whose families couldn't afford them. I have always sorta weaved in a story about the "spirit of St. Nick" that goes into our make believe Santa of today.

So there it is. My Christmas experiences. I love Christmas and you can see why. After Christmas we will be visiting my kid's 10 cousins (on Daddy's side) with their Aunts and Uncles and Mimi and Pops. It will be crazy and loud and fun as always. So I will be gone for a while. They are even saying there may be snow here! That would be so awesome!!!! A white Christmas in Houston!!! A first!!

Thank you for reading my blog. Thanks for your comments. I truly enjoy it so much. I have learned a lot from all of you even in the short time I have been blogging.
I wish you all a most blessed Christmas and a wonderful New Year!