Monday, August 23, 2004

Bill Cosby Rocks!

I mean ROCKS!!! I finally got to see Bill Cosby speaking to the Rainbow/PUSH conference on C-span (July 1 ,04). This was after his "controversial remarks" before the NAACP. His speech was EXCELLENT. He didn't say anything conservatives haven't been saying for 25 yrs, but finally a respected black celebrity says it. And that is fine with me as long as everyone listens.

For you who missed it he basically condemned the state of the lower income black community. He spoke about the 50% high school dropout rate of African American males, how the young think it is hip to call each other "nigga," how the hip hop music is degrading to women, and how wrong it is for so many black teenage girls to have babies. He encouraged black parents to PARENT. He also asked them to demand excellence of their kids, in school and out.

The most powerful moment for me was when he said he had been at an event where many of the black leaders from the older generation were there. They were the ones who fought the odds, fought racism, fought to vote, and fought to be treated with equality and dignity. Cosby said he looked at them and thought, "Is this what they dreamed of?"

During this speech ( and there wasn't a THING he said I disagreed with ) the liberals just clapped and clapped. Which I found highly ironic. Because in my opinion liberal policies of the last 20 years caused a great many of the social problems of the black community. Breakdown of the black family? Look no further than the welfare policies of the democrats. High School dropout rates? Look no further than the dumbing down educational policies of the democrats. Black teenage pregnancies? Look no further than the liberal moral policies of the democrats where no sexual pleasure should be denied. If you get pregnant then we will provide monthly checks and housing. This policy has affected the white teenage population in the same way. The degrading lyrics of hip hop? Look no further than the free for all free speech policies of the democrats.

Why then do 90% of African Americans vote democrat? God, I wish I had the answer to that question. But part of the answer might be in the speech Jesse Jackson gave right after Cosby. As much as I was cheering Cosby, I was sickened by Jesse Jackson. His speech was all about lynching, about the racism of the 50's and 60's, about the victimization of black people, about the clashes of the civil rights movement. Not in a way for us to learn from it or admire those who participated, because God knows I do, but in a way to make the young black community angry at whites now. Jesse focuses on the past, Cosby focuses on the present.

Jesse made a negative remark about Bush's "no child left behind" program, yet it is Bush who surrounds himself with the brightest and the best who happen to be black, smart, and excellent.
Who is it that respects the black community? One who panders to the worst aspects of African American life or one who gives the most important jobs in the nation, National Security Advisor, Secretary of State, and Secretary of Education to African Americans?

Who respects the black community most? Those who say vote for me and promise handouts? Or those who say vote for me no matter what color your skin is and we will make opportunities for all of us to do things for ourselves? Who respects the black community more? Those who believe that blacks need extra points on college entrance exams or those who say we don't think you NEED extra points and we think you can do it fine on your own?

I am passionate about this because as I explained in my profile, I am a child of integration.
In 1971 my best friend was a black girl named Sondra. We talked on the phone every night for hours yet we never played at each other's house. We never got to play with dolls, or play dress up, or ride bikes together. We never even asked. It just wasn't done. 27 years later my 10 yr old daughter never thought twice about having a friend over that was of color. THAT is something to be celebrated. At the time it warmed my heart of how much things had changed, but I also knew that some of those changes broke my heart as well.

Cosby, keep talking.....may we listen and change.